Thursday, April 19, 2012

#16 Work

Cassie: This happened with the first round of this blog, but it's perfect timing for this topic. With changes in life comes changes in work and I am currently "advancing on all fronts simultaneously". Thinking about how to capture this week in photo I immediately thought of Dilbert and someecards. Both are always spot on with the humor of daily corporate life, especially of the standard worker bee.


Amy: My work this week was spent in Cape Town, South Africa, where I presented my poster of my dissertation findings at the World Association for Infant Mental Health's 13th Annual World Congress.  What an experience this trip was! The conference was inspiring, the scenery was striking, and the people were very friendly and hospitable.  Unfortunately, I wish I could say the same for the social and political situation.  The disparity between the classes and races was extremely unsettling; I think that I learned more this week at work from dealing with my experiences as a white woman traveler, dealing with the privilege of race and background and imprisonment from breaches of safety and security, than I did from any lecture! Although I would not want to do this every week, as it was exhausting, my perspective and goals for my work will forever be different.


No comments:

Post a Comment