Wednesday, July 7, 2010

#27 The Sky


Karen: Here I am up in the sky on our way back from Portland yesterday. Right out side my window was Mt. St. Helens. I really don't like flying at all but you have to be amazed when you see things like this.
Mount St. Helens is most famous for its catastrophic eruption on May 18, 1980, at 8:32 am which was the deadliest and most economically destructive volcanic event in the history of the United States. Fifty-seven people were killed; 250 homes, 47 bridges, 15 miles of railways, and 185 miles of highway were destroyed. The eruption caused a massive debris avalanche, reducing the elevation of the mountain's summit from 9,677 ft to 8,365 ft and replacing it with a 1 mile wide horseshoe-shaped crater. The debris avalanche was up to 0.7 cubic miles in volume. (info taken from Wikipedia)

Cassie: I love taking pictures of the sky and clouds. I wasnt able to get a sunset pic like I really wanted, it was too hazy out. That could be due to the 100 plus temps today. The summer nights are so peaceful, lazy its my favorite time of year. I love listening to the sound of secetas.

1 comment: